Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Only 5 Burners?"

"I need another burner," said Wart, a few years ago. She was cooking breakfast for my extended family. (I had a couple brothers and a wife in from out of town and we had everyone over for breakfast. As usual when I turn the cooking over to her she makes as much of an elaborate meal as she can, with the ingredients we have on hand. And presentation is always the name of the game.)

I said, "Geez, I'm glad we have 5 burners on this new gas stove. What would you do with the old electric stove with its 4 burners." She gave me a dirty look and continued stirring the eggs.


So tonight, Sparky and I had breakfast for dinner: omelets with fresh asparagus and hollandaise sauce, and hashbrowns. I had just enough burners, but I didn't cook the bacon I was originally planning, which would have put me over the top. Sure, I could have planned better, but I really enjoy my gas stove and its 5 burners. The control of gas can't be beat. I must admit also, that the simmer burner was used to heat up the dinner plates, but heating the dinner plates on the simmer burner helps keep the food warm as it's served.
For Sparky it was the best dinner in a long time; she always enjoys eggs. I think she should have been born on a farm other than the chores that would have been associated with it. Good `ol home cooking, and/or what do they call it, `slow cooking?'

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing quite as good as breakfast for dinner and your plate looks absolutely picture perfect. We sure love you guys!

    ReplyDelete