Sunday, March 22, 2009

Smileys

Today I gave the lesson in priesthood at church. In addition to preparing for the lesson, the question was; what about a "take away" for the class members. It's best if you can give something that will help the student remember the lesson. The lesson was on adversity, and living with what life gives you, lemons or cookies, so to speak.

I hit upon an idea about two weeks. While reading the newspaper, there on the front page was a small "smiley face" from the late 60's or early 70's. Who designed it? Was it Andy Worhal? I can't remember, but it's a rather famous icon. Several email sites have these smileys available to insert in your text.

Cookies are Sparky's thing in the household and I try not to tread on her territory. So I asked her to do them, which she obliged. (So don't give me credit for them.) She did a great job, especially since she used my mothers recipe for sugar cookies. How do they look?

I think they turned out great. Thanks Sparky!

We designed them so that they could be both smileys and frowns. The point of the lesson was to take the lemons (adversity) and make lemonade (opportunities) out them. At the end of the lesson I sang the "if you chance to meet a frown" song.

The guys seamed to enjoy they cookies at the end with several stating that it was the first time they had been given treats in class. (The sisters in the ward are always doing this type of thing, but not guys.)

The lesson went well over all. It can be very intimidating with some of the class members as scholarly and versed as they are. But it's done and over with, and hopefully my "opportunity" won't arise for a long while.

4 comments:

  1. I guarantee you'll be teaching again. Sure it may be the cookies or the singing, but actually you're just a darn good teacher! And with a lesson that approaches a woman's standards... well they may ask you to cross the line and teach for us too! Good job. Any extras?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Now I know where I got my talents from(ie baking, teaching, and of course, singing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cookies! I wish I could of been in your class! Great lesson!

    ReplyDelete