Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Quiche

The Fag's in the Kitchen!

Here's another post, and it just occurred to me that I have posted 3 now this week -- all having to do with cooking. The Fag's in the kitchen!

This afternoon I went to 3 stores grocery shopping for our Thanksgiving Feast? Then I came home and put up additional heat tape in the raingutters preparing for ol' Man Winter.

Next, it was into the kitchen and make a favorite quiche of mine. YES, REAL MEN EAT QUICHE! Although I have an entire book on quiches, I like a recipe we got one time from Questar Gas many years ago.

I rushed to get it in the oven while I went HT. They take 45 - 50 minutes to cook and so I figured that was just about enough time. Well, we were a little long so the pie is a tiny bit over cooked, but still good.

Quiche reminds me of the first time Sparky and I went to France. We had driven into the country from Netherlands and drove about two hours until finally reaching our destination of Rouan. (This is the town made famous by Monét for his dozens of paintings of the cathedral during different times of the day.) After doing some sightseeing we were getting hungry; we spied a little pastry shop and went in. There we saw these cute little quiches sitting in the pastry case. I said that would be good I wonder if the girl can warm it up for us. Sparky said, "ask." Remember this is the first day of the first time in France. Our language skills were/are not the best.

I said to the counter girl, "Can you make this hot?" She looked at me curiously, so I said again "hot?" and waved my hand in front of my mouth as if something were hot inside. She still gave us a curious look and then said, "sho?" It was then our turn to look curious. A little frustrated she grabbed a paper pad and wrote h-o-t. We smiled and nodded yes. We learned a new French word that day -- sho, or hot. She warmed it up in a microwave and we left with our first "hot meal" in France.

As we sat on a park bench eating along came a couple of missionaries. We yelled to them and they stopped and talked for a few minutes. They had an appointment and had to leave. (I guess we weren't golden enough.) But I remember one was from Idaho, and I think we called his parents and reported on him when we got home.

Fun experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment